How to Program the Jeep Key Fob
When you get a new vehicle in Charleston or Columbia, your key fobs are programmed by your authorized dealer. If you’ve ever wondered how it’s done, or you need new Jeep keys and want to know whether it’s worth attempting yourself, check out our guide below and contact us if you have any questions.
Jeep Key Fob Tips
Before attempting to program a Jeep key fob yourself, it’s important to know a few things:
- Once a key fob is programmed to a vehicle it cannot be reprogrammed to another vehicle.
- Duplication of key fobs should be performed at an authorized dealer with genuine OEM Jeep parts in order to maintain the highest quality and resale value of your vehicle.
- If you have the Sentry Key Immobilizer System, you must bring all your keys when you are having this feature serviced/reprogrammed at an authorized dealer.
Programming the Jeep Key Fob Yourself
However, if you purchased a used Jeep from a private seller, or if you are a confident auto do-it-yourselfer, here is how to program the Jeep key fob:
- Obtain an OEM Jeep key fob and corresponding key fob programmer from an authorized dealership parts center or the Mopar® online store for genuine Jeep parts.
- As a last resort you may be able to find these on sites like eBay, but you must be very careful to get the right parts.
- Gather all the key fobs you want to program and step inside your Jeep.
- Insert the physical key into the ignition and turn to the first position WITHOUT starting the engine.
- Insert the key fob programmer into the OBD/DLC port under the steering column near the pedals.
- On the key fob, press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds.
- Press the unlock button for 2 seconds.
- Repeat step 6 and 7 for all additional fobs.
- Turn the ignition off and remove the key fob programmer.
- Wait two minutes, then and verify that each fob button works properly.
Rely on Plaza CDJR for Your Jeep Service Needs
If you are having issues with programming, schedule service at Plaza Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of Orangeburg near Charleston and we will be happy to program your Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram key fob for you. For more Jeep Wrangler how-tos, check out our guide to taking the doors off of a Jeep Wrangler.