What is a HEMI Engine?
The Hemi engine is a trademark of Chrysler, named “Hemi” for its hemispherical combustion chamber. Learn more about the Chrysler Hemi engine below, then find a Hemi-equipped new Chrysler for sale or new Dodge for sale at Plaza Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of Orangeburg near Columbia.
The History of the Chrysler Hemi
- The hemispherical design of the combustion chamber has been around since the early 1900’s but the Hemi engine trademarked by Chrysler has its origins in the Chrysler FirePower Engine in 1951.
- The second generation Hemi engine came around in 1964 and was produced for use in NASCAR vehicles.
- The third iteration came in 2003 with a flatter engine head and included two spark plugs per cylinder, which lead to lower emissions.
Advantages of the Hemi Engine
Before the development of the Hemi engine, combustion chambers were typically wedge-shaped. Without getting too technical, there are quite a few advantages to the design of the hemispherical combustion chamber engine compared to the typical reverse-flow cylinder head, to get better performance on Lexington roads.
- Straighter flow path for the intake and exhaust
- Less heat loss and higher peak pressure due to less surface area in the chamber
- Larger valves due to valve positioning means better engine airflow
Hemi Options Today
Both the Chrysler and Dodge brands offer Hemi engines in select models for drivers in the Charleston area. Vehicles like the Chrysler 300 Hemi sedan and the sporty Dodge Charger include engine choices such as:
- 5.7L engine producing up to 395 hp and 407 lb-ft of torque
- 6.4L engine producing up to 485 hp and 475 lb-ft of torque
- 6.2L supercharged engine producing up to 707 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque (called the Hellcat)
- 8.0L V10 engine producing 305 hp
Learn More at Plaza Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of Orangeburg
Contact us at Plaza Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of Orangeburg to learn more about Chrysler 300 Hemi horsepower and how mpg changes with engine opition, or schedule a test drive in a Chrysler 300 Hemi for sale to experience the power in person!